I assemble my luggage
for the great journey.
The bell tolled:
posterior infarction
the doctors told me
and I must take care.
That’s why
prudent as always, sensible
I put my affairs in order:
Bible group studies,
symposia, seminars, meetings,
reading “good” books and magazines
attending religious services:
thousands upon thousands.
Lectures, proposals, interventions
on subjects of profit to the soul:
a few dozen.
Publications in our own journals:
two or three, and scarcely.
And if I wring all that
dry, what do I get?
Nothing!
Now I’m aware
that the coffers are bare
and anguished I try to remember
even an onion
I hurled in a rage
at that importunate beggar.
Nothing!
Nothing but a far-off echo
growing louder and louder
in my ears:
“inasmuch as ye did it not…”
As much a fool am I
as those I was taught by!
2 Oct. 2004
Friday, March 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment